Friday 9 September 2011

Future Forward...To Work or Play?

Whenever I attend university career-offices and expo’s I am amazed by the level of participation and interested coming from the students. I constantly ask myself, “How come I never went to these when I was a student?” In fact, I wonder if I was even aware that they were going on. What it also makes me wonder about is how many students like me are there out there today? I always knew that after studying I wanted to travel. Where, was not important, I just wanted to go!

Jobs are scarce and graduate opportunities limited, so students looking for opportunities for the new year need to be bright and on the ball. It is no longer good enough to wait until final exams are finished to start job hunting. You are likely to find that most companies with graduate development programs in place have filled there ‘quota’ before final exams even start! Companies are looking for forward thinking candidates, who know how to plan and have done the thorough research into their career prospects.


But starting your career might not be what you are after following your studies. You might want to take a “gap-year”, have a breather and see the world. Please, don’t underestimate how good this could be for you or your career!


How you ask? Well, this is the way I see it…


You have spent the larger part of the past +/- 22 years in an educational institution that has created a strong framework for you to “operate” within. You have had classes to attend, homework to do, exams to write. You’ve had had to be there at certain times and had to conform to their rules. At the end of this road, you may choose to venture into the world without boundaries! Leaving this formal and fixed path is daunting for many. But it’s brave, bold and can be super fun!

The life experience you will gain along the way will make it clearer to you what direction your career should/ could take. You will be exposed to different people from all walks of life and they will introduce you to ideas/ concepts and opportunities you had no clue even existed! They will questions your past choices and the way you see the world.  And all this will mold you into a clearer (or more confused) version of yourself. 

Huh?? So why would I do this if it makes me more confused? 

Well, it’s much better to be confused outside of a job or formal graduate development program than to be confused in one! You have a much greater opportunity for “self-discovery” and “clarity”. You may also find out about careers you never even knew existed or jobs that match passion, you will learn about things that take your careers in unexpected directions. So if you are open-minded and adventurous this might be the route for you!


My advice:
  • Take unexpected opportunities
  • Be open-minded
  • Go with the flow
  • Research what’s out there to do
Here are some potentially useful links to post-graduates options:


Working-holiday in USA:          www.ccusa.co.za

Kibbutz:                                      www.kibbutzvolunteer.com/

Contiki:                                       http://za.contiki.com/
UK working visa:                       www.workpermit.com/uk/wh_working_in_uk.htm

General :                                    www.projects-abroad.org.za

 Bon-voyage! Enjoy the journey to.......

No comments:

Post a Comment